Antonio L. Cortés offers over twenty-two years of business litigation and trial experience. His experience includes copyright infringement, real property and mortgage litigation, deed validity, real property partition, corporate control, contracts, fraud, government contracts, land title, large collections, breach of warranty, and trade secrets.
Mr. Cortés had litigated and tried cases in Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Guam, and the Republic of Palau.
Mr. Cortés has handled numerous copyright actions, including a jury trial in which he obtained a seven-figure copyright infringement verdict. He has litigated trade secret misappropriation cases involving computer software, biological processes, and bicycle-fork design, and patent and copyright infringement cases involving biological processes and computer software.
In Guam, he defended a Senator tried for civil and criminal contempt charges arising from civil disobedience in the U.S. District Court, prosecuted a six-billion yen mortgage fraud action, and prosecuted a Sunshine Act suit for a Gannet newspaper against a major government agency.
In Palau, Mr. Cortés successfully litigated the constitutionality of the Koror Constitution, obtained a Supreme Court ruling setting the Koror-Peleliu boundary to include Palau’s famous Rock Islands within his client’s jurisdiction, and litigated, then designed a successful settlement of, a land dispute between State and National Governments settling title to 65% of the land area in the State of Koror.
- All California Courts
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court, Northern District of California
- United States District Court, Southern District of California
- United States District Court, Central District of California
- United States District Court, District of Guam (Inactive)
- All Courts of Guam (Inactive)
- All Courts of the Republic of Palau (Inactive)
Mr. Cortés attended the University of California, Berkeley where he received an A.B., Rhetoric with highest honors, highest distinction in general scholarship and the departmental citation. He received his J.D. from Yale Law School.
Professional associations and memberships
- The Intellectual Property and Real Property Sections of the State Bar of California
- The Intellectual Property and Real Property Sections of the Marin County Bar Association
- The Sonoma County Bar Association
- The Marin County Chamber of Commerce
Publications and Presentations
- Deposing Copyright Experts, The Marin Lawyer, Volume 43, Issue 6