Richard Sutherland is an experienced trial attorney.
Mr. Sutherland has represented lenders and other corporate entities in complex business litigation and lender liability matters concerning the financial services and real estate industries. His extensive litigation experience includes multiple jury and bench trials, binding arbitrations, evidentiary hearings, jury selection and witness examination, as well as substantial law and motion practice.
He successfully defended the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation in its capacity as receiver for a failed bank from lender liability claims in excess of $60 million related to a commercial development in Los Angeles; represented a hotel portfolio owner in a breach of joint venture agreement with a multi-national financial institution; and successfully opposed writs of attachment and receivership applications regarding a $50 million commercial development, leading to a beneficial resolution of the dispute by all parties.
- All California State Courts
- United States District Court, Northern District of California
- United States District Court, Eastern District of California
- United States District Court, Central District of California
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, J.D., with Distinction
- University of California, San Diego, B.A.
Professional associations and memberships
Sonoma County Bar Association
Awards and designations
Roger J. Traynor Honor Society
Northern California Super Lawyers: Rising Star 2015 – 2018